Wednesday, September 1, 2010

it's been two years!

Two years ago in June 2008, I came to Tierra Nueva thinking that I would just be here for a summer. But this community and ministry has gotten a hold of me in a way I unsuspected. It has become very clear that God has called me to this place—at least for the near future. I have repeatedly witnessed God’s work, both in my life and those around me, and am so grateful for the ways I personally have changed over these past two years and hopefully have also enacted positive change.

Here are some other recent happenings:
• I am now part of the Leadership Council of Tierra Nueva and the Co-Director of the Family Support Center (see other entry for FSC updates).
• First Annual Summer Story Guild (weekly mtgs. for a creative children’s play on Exodus)
• First Volunteer Advocate Training, the development of an Apprentice Program, and re-structuring of Tierra Nueva.
• Staff Weekend: on our own Biblical Purpose Statements, Values, & Calling Statements.
• Hosted a group from Bethany Presbyterian Church in Seattle at TN, who transformed our sanctuary with a new layer of paint and weeded our Jubilee Family Farm!

• I founded and am directing Skagit Against Slavery (SkAS): educating & equipping social service providers, educators, students, and community members about human trafficking. We host our monthly meetings at Tierra Nueva, which is a partnering organization. www.goskagit.com/home/article/stopping_modern_day_slavery/

• Various presentations: to a local church with my coworker Salvio on Indigenous Mexicans in the Skagit Valley; to the Board of Skagit Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault Services on Domestic Minor Sex Trafficking; other trainings on sex trafficking to SkAS & Tierra Nueva; trauma self-care trainings; and I recently led our Sunday service dialogical sermon!

No comments:

Post a Comment