Friday, October 15, 2010

alondra got her license!

(See previous entry about Alondra to know the background to this story).
It's been almost two years since her accident (Dec 28, 2008), and 3/4 of a year since her license was suspended. This week, I received a call from an overjoyed Alondra....
"Betania?"
"Si, como estas Alondra?"
"Ya me fui al departamento de licencia....y ahora tengo mi licencia!!!!" (I just went to the DOL and I now have my license!!!)

Not having a license has caused immense stress for Alondra, and her excitement poured through the phone. I can't count the times I have talked with her about the toll a suspended license has taken on her, both emotionally as well as the ways it has thrown her into a catch-22. She hasn't been able to renew her tabs at times & hasn't been able to sell her car in order to pay off her fines. Having a license is something I have taken for granted, and her struggle and desperation has once again made me realize how much I take for granted. It quite a cause to celebrate and we are very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment