Friday, June 1, 2012

beginning of my 5th summer....

June 1st: Completing FOUR YEARS at Tierra Nueva!
After quitting my case manager job and subletting my apartment to a friend, I moved up to Tierra Nueva in the summer of 2008.  Three months, was my plan.  I’ll do a full-time internship at Tierra Nueva for my MSW, and then move back down to Seattle.  Well, plans changed and I moved into a house with other girls come end of summer, in Mt. Vernon.  Now, 4 years later, I’m starting my fifth summer at Tierra Nueva. 

I'm so grateful to be here at Tierra Nueva.  I have learned so much these past years it's hard to pull into words.  I have grown in my understanding of God's unqiue and powerful involvement in this world.  I feel immensely more connected to God, experiencing what it truly means to be the branch connected to the vine of Jesus.  I can't live without Him, let alone try to minister to others, and have any positive impact without Him.  I feel increasingly rooted in grounded in who I am as God's beloved, participating with him in the work He is doing to bring His Kingdom here on earth. En la Tierra como en el Cielo.  On Earth as it is in Heaven.  I am grateful for my community here at Tierra Nueva, together learning how to seek a Tierra Nueva. 

day-in & day-out happenings:
 
       •  going to the Snow Goose Produce for their massive ice cream cones with our new interns and the Sanchez kids
       •  organizing a meeting with Mt. Vernon Law Enforcement, Juvenile Detention Center, CPS, and other service providers to address CSEC (commercially sexually exploited children & youth) in our community
       •   running into 3 people this week who are caught in the clutches of drug addiction, yet speak of hopes for treatment
       • receiving fearful phone calls from an undocumented father of 5 who is nervous about his immigration status

  planning a baby shower for a 16-year-old girl who is due in the beginning of July, worried about how she is going to pick strawberries this summer
  talking with a recently single mother of 4 with the youngest 4 months old, finding out she is unexpectedly pregnant
 hearing that the U-Visa part of VAWA (Violence Against Women Act) is potentially going to be gutted in the Act’s renewal, eliminating benefits for undocumented immigrant victims of crime.  
 writing letters with Evaristo & Alicia, helping them articulate the 'extreme hardship' that it will be if Evaristo is deported
    •  taking care of a Triqui friend’s 3 year-old daughter so she could take a class at Pregnancy Choices

 Im also continuing to enjoy being a women’s jail chaplain, co-leading Bible Studies, doing one-on-ones and just recently began corresponding via a new email system with one of the former Skagit County Jail inmates who is in Purdy.  It was fun to go into jail a couple Sundays ago, and have a woman tell me that she hasn’t had cravings for drugs since we prayed for her 3 weeks ago!  ‘The obsession is gone!’ she tells me with new light in her eyes.  'This thing works!'  
Praise the LORD! 

Elena and Araceli

Our Summer Hand-Made Sale!
Brenda enjoying an afternoon nap

No comments:

Post a Comment