Friday, March 22, 2013

Response to Sex Trafficking: Local & Global


Skagit Commercially Sexually Exploited Children & Youth
I continue to lead Skagit County’s response and coordination of services for Commercially Sexually Exploited Children & Youth (CSEC).  Last month, we applied with Whatcom County to receive intensive training and we were approved as 1 of 5 counties in Washington State! The first training will be May 22nd, so I'm in process of making sure all the 'key players' are aware and invited.  Usually our meetings have been at Mt. Vernon police department, but this month I hosted the Skagit CSEC Task Force meeting at Tierra Nueva.  It felt somewhat strange to have a Children’s Administration (CPS) supervisor, Juvenile Detention manager, prosecuting attorney, and a police detective again in our building…I know so many who interface with these systems in a very different capacity!  One of our building residents, a former gang related guy himself, helped me set up coffee while people were coming in, his arms covered in tattoos.  I couldn’t help but smiling as people glanced his way and hopefully saw a different side to someone they may have otherwise quickly stereotyped.


Thailand Trip! 
I leave on Thursday March 28th! Although I won't be interviewing organizations that work with those in sex trade, I will still be in Pattaya--the 2nd highest destination for the sex trade.  Please pray for protection (physical, emotional, and spiritual), as well as divine appointments with those who are part of the conference and out on the street. 

No comments:

Post a Comment